Sunday, January 2, 2011

Guadzilla goes live

Typically, the start of a new year is heralded by lofty goals which only a few weeks later are forgotten by the wayside, like a low-fat healthy dessert next to a plate of walnut brownies with vanilla ice-cream and chocolate sauce.

In my case, my targets for 2011 are very simple - break the sub-hour 40k TT target.

This was also my target for 2010, and I came to within 5-10W of achieving this.   Due to a bunch of reasons, those additional 5-10W eluded me but I can honestly say that I actually did chase the target for the whole year.  One good thing that came out of all this was that I learned what works and what doesn't work for me, and I plan to apply it to my training this year.  

Have started with a more structured overall roadmap for the year - last year, while I had a few months of structured training, the overall scheme was not so well laid out, and I ended up peaking a month before TfN.  This year, the plan is to do an extended amount of base - 4 months minimum, maybe even 5, before getting into 3-4 months of build, focusing mainly on FTP.  Then we'll see what we'll see.

For the month of January, I am doing prep work before starting base in Feb.  This means weights, cross-training, stretching and a few hours of short, easy rides every week.

This is also the year I take my Surly LHT out and go do a proper tour on it!  For too long it has been sitting unused in my room.  That changes this year - starting, hopefully, in mid-Feb - and I'll be posting trip reports, photos, etc.

4 comments: